[registrars] Announcement of start of discussion of Motion on Travel Funding.

At 09:10 PM 12/12/2007 Wednesday&nbsp; +0000, Rob Hall wrote:<br>
here is what I saw.</blockquote><br>
Dear Rob:&nbsp; Thank you for going to all this work. I really appreciate
it, Rob.<br><br>
This motion is now before the house.&nbsp; The Rules give the Secretary
up to 48 hours to announce the start of discussion.&nbsp; I see no need
to delay, therefore, the starting date for discussion is 10 December, the
close of discussion is 24 December.&nbsp; I'll have to discuss the actual
voting schedule with Jon when he returns.&nbsp; It would not be good to
have the vote between 27 December and 3 January.<br><br>
Here is Ross' motion:<br><br>
Whereas the GNSO Council is composed of constituency
representatives&nbsp; <br>
from specific and significant groups of stakeholders, plus liaisons&nbsp;
and nominating committee appointees, and;<br><br>
Whereas, those groups of stakeholders are private sector
participants&nbsp; <br>
with a professional interest in the work of ICANN and the GNSO,
and;<br><br>
Whereas those participants include representatives from a broad cross-
section of well-funded corporations, professional associations,
lobby&nbsp; <br>
firms and other organizations,<br><br>
Therefore be it resolved<br><br>
a) That the GNSO Registrar Constituency does not believe it is&nbsp;
appropriate to fund the participation of GNSO Constituency
Councillors&nbsp; <br>
in any way, including to fund travel to any ICANN meetings or
events.<br><br>
b) That the Constituency adopt this as its formal position and&nbsp;
instructs its elected representatives to vigorously advocate this&nbsp;
position.<br><br>
end quote: <br><br>
For general interest, I am pasting a copy of the time line for motions at
the end of this Email.<br><br>
9:51pm<br>
Tom Barrett - Seconded - 12/10&nbsp; 11:32am<br>
Jordi Hinojosa - Seconded - 12/10&nbsp; 11:54am<br>
Peter Stevenson - Seconded - 12/10&nbsp; 4:39pm<br>
Rob Hall - Seconded - 12/11&nbsp;&nbsp; 12:12pm </blockquote><br>
Regards, <br>
Bob Connelly<br>
Secretary of the RC<br><br>
Time line:<br><br>
I.1. The proponent of a motion shall submit it to the Constituency
mailing list. Such motion generally would include: a. a substantive
description of a new or changed policy, amendment to the Registrar
Constituency Bylaws, these Rules, or other policy documents; or b. a
position of support for or opposition to a report, policy, or any other
matter before the Elected Members of the Constituency. <br><br>
I.2. The motion must have three endorsements in order to proceed to
formal discussion. Solicitation of endorsements in support of the motion
may be secured via the Registrar Constituency mailing list. <br><br>
for discussion no later than 48 hours after receiving the motion from the
proponent and the three endorsements. <br><br>
Constituency list for no less than 14 days. The Chair will moderate the
discussion on the list or at any meeting or call, as applicable.
communication to the Secretary. The Secretary will accept and publish any
amendment formally to the Constituency list for the Constituency?s
consideration only if such amendment is endorsed by a second Member, and
such endorsement is communicated by electronic communication to the
Secretary and to the Constituency list. <br><br>
I.6. During this period of consideration, the proponent of the motion may
accept one or all of the amendments as friendly, and modify her or his
motion accordingly. Any friendly amendments will be withdrawn and not
considered separately. <br><br>
I.7. Any Member can call for a vote after the 14-day period
post-publication. <br><br>
will remain open for inspection and possible amendment or correction for
72 hours prior to the vote. <br><br>
a. the original motion; and b. any unfriendly amendments (as deemed by
the proponent). <br><br>
I.10. The Secretary will call the vote no less than 2 days
ballot inspection period and keep it open for no less than 7 days, but no
more than 21 days. In exceptional circumstances as determined by a
majority vote of the Constituency Executive Committee, however, the
Secretary may shorten or extend the period to vote upon proper notice to
the voting members via the constituency mailing list or other similar
means. Other than as stated in Section II below, in no event will a vote
be open less than 3 business days or longer than 30 days. <br><br>