Re: [registrars] ICANN funding travel for GNSO council reps

  • To: Adrian Kinderis <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] ICANN funding travel for GNSO council reps
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <brunner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 14:16:50 -0800
  • Cc: Registrars Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Adrien,

I'd be happier if the question was about need rather than uniformity. If geographic (and other) diversity goals are not met because of an unstated means test -- say the cost of going from a very low cost of business venue to a very high cost of transit meeting -- hypothetically from Africa to New Zealand or California, then that is a problem we can solve.

What we don't want to do is pay adequately compensated lobbyists, most of whom represent interests adversarial or at best indifferent to, the interests of registrars, from funds that originate mostly from registrars.

I do take the point that having all GNSO Councillors able to be physically present at all GNSO Council meetings is better, more robust in many ways, than a flimsy voice line and perhaps some shared, and possibly in-sync whiteboards and the file documents for the meeting.

However, I'd prefer to see a means test rather than blanket funding for everyone everywhere for every fine dinner in any budget year.

Eric