RE: [registrars] Godaddy cancels a confirmed transfer because of whois privacy?

  • To: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <markjr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Godaddy cancels a confirmed transfer because of whois privacy?
  • From: "Rob Hall" <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 20:58:49 -0000
  • Cc: <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have a dumb question.

If the Registrant is "Domains by Proxy", the godaddy service, then how did you get permission to transfer the domain ?

I have never seen "Domains by proxy" answer a transfer request in the affirmative.

Given that they are the Registrant, and you need their permission to transfer the domain, how did you get the proper response to the transfer authorization email you had to send out ?

So long as "Domains by proxy" is the legal Registrant, they are the ones you need permission from, and they are the ones that must say yes to the transfer authorization email.

If you applied for a transfer from your Registrar without "domains by proxy" giving you the thumbs up to the Authorization email, then it may be you and not Godaddy who is in violation of the transfers policy.  No one else can possibly authorize the transfer other than "domains by proxy".  Anyone else claiming to be the Registrant is simply wrong.

I suspect Godaddy is correct in their denying the transfer, as the Registrant of Record did not authorize it.

Rob.