[registrars] Measures of success of the transfers policy

  • To: "Registrars Constituency" <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] Measures of success of the transfers policy
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 01:15:35 +1100
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Jordyn,

> More importantly, as Tim points out, portability is no better
> under the new transfer policy--the percentage of transfers
> that succeeds seems to be no better now than under the
> previous policy, with the exception of names managed by
> registrants unlucky enough to misunderstand what locking does.

One of the failings of the transfers policy work so far is that we have
never established a measureable benchmark for the current system.  Thus
it is hard to prove either way whether the policy met its objective.

I hope that before we do any more work, that we can at least establish a
measure whereby we can see whether policy changes make it better or
worse.

I think the perception of Melbourne IT is that it hasn't really got any
better, just more complex and expensive to administer.

Regards,
Bruce