Re: [registrars] Other Registries looking at pursuing similar contracts

  • To: Bhavin Turakhia <bhavin.t@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] Other Registries looking at pursuing similar contracts
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:57:09 -0400
  • Cc: registrars@xxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Of course there needs to be some rationalization of the existing terms.

* Registries need to abide by consensus policy, and future consensus
policy.
* Registries should have limited term contracts (7-10 years).
* Registries should be able to provide registry services without ICANN
oversight insofar as they aren't providing a service that only they can
provide as a result of their position as the sole-source database
registry manager.
* Registries should be able to charge as they see fit, inasmuch as there
is a competitive registry model in place.

Com is an obvious exception to this - it needs special handling until
real registry competition takes root. This just amplifies the needs for
real registry competition.

If we are looking for long-term sustainability and a registry-registrar
model that befits our interests, we need to seriously consider the
impact of micromanaging the affairs of each registry as it relates to
the registrar business model.

On 26/07/2005 9:37 AM Bhavin Turakhia noted that;

>>Equivalent terms in the registry contracts, combined with the
>>addition of new registry operators, would serve, not hinder,
>>registrar interests.
>

> Indeed. As long as the terms don't read as follows -
>
> * We shalt charge whatever we please
>
> * We shalt not abide by any policy developed by the community
>
> * we shalt maintain this contract in perpetuity no matter how badly we screw
> up
>
> * we shalt begin selling any service including competing services with
> registrars and noone shall stop us
>
> I am all for equality but not for "hey registry, here's my customer list
> since you are a thick registry, so go ahead and enjoy"
>
> Pardon my use of extremities. I can already see people writing in responses.
> So I must add this footnote. I know things are not this bad, YET. However my
> intention is to atleast take steps to ensure that these mistakes are
> rectified and not repeated. Each year we registrars discuss issues and beat
> them to death in closed meetings. Then we all go back to leading our lives
> making thinner profits every quarter and paying higher charges every year. I
> have seen countless areas which concern us as a community and constituency
> where we have failed to take even the most basic steps to protect our
> interests and businesses. This is my tiny way to atleast try and make this
> occasion different.
>
> - B

- --

                      -rwr

Contact info: http://www.blogware.com/profiles/ross
Skydasher: A great way to start your day
My weblog: http://www.byte.org