[registrars] DOC will not cede control over ICANN??

  • To: <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] DOC will not cede control over ICANN??
  • From: "Bhavin Turakhia" <bhavin.t@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 14:59:13 +0530
  • Cc: "'Paul Twomey'" <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi

I have been getting some calls from the press and other concerned parties
about these articles that appeared in CNN and other prominent locations -

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/06/30/internet.control.ap/

While the press is drawing their own inferences and conclusions I am
particularly concerned about this comment -

"In 1998, the Commerce Department selected a private organization with
international board members, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and
Numbers, to decide what goes on those lists. Commerce kept veto power, but
indicated it would let go once ICANN met a number of conditions.

Thursday's declaration means Commerce would keep that control, regardless of
whether and when those conditions are met."

Is the above statement true?

What does this mean for ICANN?

This can only add further fuel to the WSIS fire and is already doing so
despite whatever minimalistic efforts that we can put in to counter that

Does anyone have the link to the actual declaration made by the DOC?

Best Regards
Bhavin Turakhia
Founder, Chairman & CEO
Directi