[registrars] add/deletes

  • To: <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] add/deletes
  • From: "Paul Stahura" <stahura@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 21:42:12 -0700
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I see that add/deletes can be a problem, especially for repeated add and
deletes for the same name(s) over and over.

That practice takes the name out of the pool of available names for an
extended period and therefore that's a problem.

I don't see much of a problem with add/delete of different names, but
that activity does take names out of the pool for short periods, but as
Ross says, the fraction is negligible, so the problem there is
negligible.

I don't see a huge problem on load, but I'd guess either activity
produces a higher than "normal" load level on the registry, that's for
sure, but again negligible increase.

It's not anywhere near the load level that dropping names produces, as a
single drop catcher system may do 3,000 RRP commands per second, which
works out to about 260 million registrations per day if they were
successful adds (as each add/delete would be).

As I said in Argentina there is a natural "governor" on this activity
because the participants must pay cash or submit a LOC with the registry
to do large number of registrations.

For example, for 1 million names, they'd need a letter of credit for
$6M.  These financial levels are achievable but it does not scale the
way free drop-catching attempts does.

Zero (free name-grabbing attempts) is infinitely less than a small cost
(cash or the LOC both have costs)

At about 1/3 RRP capacity, I estimate you'd need a LOC of about $8
Billion (not million...billion) dollars (260M/day*5*$6), so that the
dollars would run out well before the rrp load limit would be reached.

On the trademark issues, I agree it does not seem to be an issue with
IPC, and for good reasons as John Berryhill says.

I also agree with John on this point: the problem is best resolved
between Verisign and its contracted parties.

I think Bruce's suggestion of a workshop in Luxembourg (with submissions
to this list for those that won't be there in person) where people bring
proposals makes much sense.

I agree that the system can be improved.  But to what end?

The improvements I will suggest would be to bring a net benefit to the
entire community, including all registrars; not merely to mitigate what
some see as harm to us or to increase prices on us in doing something
(like deletes).

I don't think we need to rush the solution and vote on anything today.
Luxembourg is not that far out.

Let us collect the possible solutions and go from there.

Paul

PS

Two from eNom will be in Luxembourg