RE: [registrars] HELP - ICANN FEES !

  • To: "'Patricio Valdes'" <valdes@xxxxxxxxxx>, <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] HELP - ICANN FEES !
  • From: "Tim Cole" <cole@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:11:11 -0800
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Patricio,

I saw that you raised some questions on the Registrar Constituency list
about your current invoice.  The Per Registrar Variable Fee was covered in
the budget approved last October for the current fiscal year (see
http://www.icann.org/financials/budget-fy04-05-06oct04.html).  We didn't
start billing the fee for the 2004-05 fiscal year until November 2004
because the approval process lasted until October 2004.  Therefore the
invoice you now have is for the November and December portion of the annual
budget, which will be collected over the 8 months remaining in the fiscal
year (November through June).  Hence, $3.8MM is being collected during this
shorter period.  This current set of invoices covers $950,000 of the amount
to be collected for the year (2 of 8 months).  However, the variable fee
amount collected from each registrar is recalculated each quarter based on
the number of operational registrars and the number of registrars requesting
(and eligible) for partial forgiveness of the fee (since the combination
must cover the full amount).

The next two sets of quarterly invoices will each cover 3 of 8 months, or
$1,425,000 across all registrars, so the variable fee will most likely be
higher than in the current invoices, but perhaps not as high as might be
expected due to the additional registrars added in the last few months.  The
Registrar Fee Cap is $20,000 for the year, and the total in per registrar
variable fees is expected to be well below that.

I hope you find this information helpful.  If you have additional questions,
please feel free to contact me or Diane Schroeder, Chief Financial Officer.

Best wishes,

Tim Cole
Chief Registrar Liaison
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers

  _____