[registrars] Re: [liaison6c] Public Comment period on Proposed Change to ICANN Bylaws Regarding the Number of GNSO Council Representatives.
- To: "GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [registrars] Re: [liaison6c] Public Comment period on Proposed Change to ICANN Bylaws Regarding the Number of GNSO Council Representatives.
- From: "Robert F. Connelly" <BobC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:33:23 -0800
- Cc: liaison6c <liaison6c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Registrars Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
- In-reply-to: <423DF182.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <423DF182.email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At 01:56 PM 3/20/05, GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
The public Comment period has commenced on the Proposed Change to ICANN
Bylaws Regarding the Number of GNSO Council Representatives.
Proposed change to the ICANN Bylaws:
Section 3. GNSO COUNCIL
Subject to the provisions of the Transition Article of these Bylaws, the
GNSO Council shall consist of three representatives selected by each of
the Constituencies described in Section 5 of this Article, and three
persons selected by the ICANN Nominating Committee. No two representatives
selected by a Constituency shall be citizens of the same country or of
countries located in the same Geographic Region.
Dear Glen: I continue to play this old harp. It is *more_important* that
the GNSO representatives by *residents_of* the *region* they represent than
to be *citizens_of* said region.
GAC stuck us with this anomaly years ago. May we now request that each
representative be *both_citizen_of_and_resident_of* the region he or she
There may also be two liaisons to the GNSO Council, one appointed by
each of the Governmental Advisory Committee and the At-Large Advisory
Committee from time to time, who shall not be members of or entitled to
vote on the GNSO Council, but otherwise shall be entitled to participate
on equal footing with members of the GNSO Council. The appointing
Advisory Committee shall designate its liaison (or revoke or change the
designation of its liaison) on the GNSO Council by providing written
notice to the Chair of the GNSO Council and to the ICANN Secretary. The
GNSO Council may also have observers as described in paragraph 9 of this
The proposed change is to replace "two" with "three" and leave the article
"Next to knowing when to seize an opportunity, the most important
thing in life is to know when to forego an advantage".