RE: [registrars] Election required for GNSO Council rep for 2004-2006 seat

  • To: <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Election required for GNSO Council rep for 2004-2006 seat
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:53:53 +1100
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello All,

> The result of that election was:
> Bruce Tonkin, 2 year term
> Thomas Keller, 1 year term
> Ross Rader, additional rep if Board agrees to 3 reps per constituency
>
> The terms of Tom Keller and Ross Rader end on Sunday 5 Dec 2004.

Actually Ross Rader's term expires at the end of the annual general
meeting in 2005 (provided the Board agrees to update the bylaws to
ensure the continuation of 3 representatives).

This is consistent with the changes approved by the Board in January
2004:
From: http://www.icann.org/legal/proposed-bylaws-corrections-09jan04.htm

"Subject to the provisions of the Transition Article of these Bylaws,
Section 5(8): (a) the regular term of each GNSO Council member shall
begin at the conclusion of an ICANN annual meeting and shall end at the
conclusion of the second ICANN annual meeting thereafter; (b) the
regular term of one representative selected by each Constituency shall
begin in an even-numbered year and the regular term of the other
representative selected by the Constituency shall begin in an
odd-numbered year, provided, however that the regular term of two
representatives selected by the Constituency shall begin following the
2003 Annual Meeting who shall serve until the conclusion of the 2005
Annual Meeting, and the regular term of one representative selected by
the Constituency shall begin following the 2003 Annual Meeting and end
at the conclusion of the 2004 Annual Meeting; and (c) the regular term
of one of the three members selected by the Nominating Committee shall
begin in even-numbered years and the regular term of the other two of
the three members selected by the Nominating Committee shall begin in
odd-numbered years. Each GNSO Council member shall hold office during
his or her regular term and until a successor has been selected and
qualified or until that member resigns or is removed in accordance with
these Bylaws."

And

"As of and following ICANN's 2003 Annual Meeting, each GNSO constituency
shall select three (3) representatives to serve on the GNSO Council, and
shall provide the ICANN Secretary written notice of its selections.  One
representative selected by each constituency shall serve for a one-year
term, ending as of the end of the 2004 Annual Meeting, and two
representatives selected shall serve for a two-year term, ending as of
the 2005 Annual Meeting."

So we only need to hold an election for Thomas Keller's seat (ie the
2004 to 2006 seat).  The other two seats will come up for election at
the end of this year.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin