Re: [registrars] FW: Registrars - gTLD Registries Constituencies - Items for Discussion?

  • To: Mike Lampson <lampson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] FW: Registrars - gTLD Registries Constituencies - Items for Discussion?
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:01:01 +0000
  • Cc: "'Registrars Constituency'" <registrars@xxxxxxxx>, Rick Wesson <wessorh@xxxxxx>, Bhavin Turakhia <bhavin.t@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@xxxxxxxxxxx>, brunner@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mike,

Ever since ... gosh, before epp saw the light of day I've been trying to
make it so the registries offer a constant api surface to registrars and
to 3rd-party solution and contract operators. When the .info registry
decided that there was advantage in inconsistency, I was not happy.

I agree that:

	o the gTLD Registries be consistent in their EPP implementations.

	o the sTLDs should also be consistent in their EPP implementations,
	  and express their unique rules as valid EPP extensions.
	  <.cat hat==on>

	o the ccTLDs are probably outside of our influence, except that
	  there is no reason why they wouldn't want something that works.

	o the pseudo-ccTLDs are probably more amenable to the shared
	  channel approach, hence to a single api.

Registry operators that break the rules get punished at bid and renewal
time. At this point vgrs, afilias, and nu* have done enough stupid tricks
to make their .net happiness doubtful, assuming ICANN wasn't corrupt and
stupid too.

My two beads worth too...

Eric