Re: [registrars] .net thick/thin discussion

Jens Wagner wrote:

> Larry Erlich schrieb:
>
> >Jens Wagner wrote:
> >

> >>This should be proposed as an EPP extension anyway. At least one line of
> >>text per domain name should be usable for such purposes.
> >>

> >There would have to be at least two lines of text
> >per domain. One for the registrar with full contact
> >information and one for the reseller. But I am still in favor
> >of a thin model. Keep in mind that our whole system is setup
> >as a thick model and I would rather not have to have the
> >expense of re-writing our whole system to accomodate this change.
> >I don't think you can assume that this is trivial for many
> >registrars. This will be expensive.
> >

> How do you handle .org, .biz and .info right now? They are thick, too.

We had to build a separate method for .org .info and it
is not even done yet.

> >>This is up to the registry. However there should be a webinterface that
> >>shows all informations 'pretty-printed'.
> >>

> >Doesn't handle the situation where another entity wants to query
> >port 43 to display the information without creating their
> >own routine to "pretty-print" the info. In other words it will
> >only be nicely human readable if viewed through the registry
> >web interface but not through another entities web interface.
> >

> Usually every registrar has its own "pritty-print" routines right now.
> How do you display .com/.net whois data of other registrars, or whois
> data for .biz/.info domains?

First, I don't know how you can say "usually every registrar has its
own pritty-print routines right now" when you
then ask "How do you display".

If you didn't even investigate how
we do it, then how can you make such a general statement?

Here is my survey: I just checked register.com for "john.info" and the display
was right from the .info whois. Same for godaddy.com
Same for us.

Second, not only registrars display queried whois information. There are
plenty of resellers, ISP's and others who legitimately offer whois
display through a web page and will only display the registry
whois output.

Larry Erlich

http://www.DomainRegistry.com

>   -  jens