Re: [registrars] Deletion of all IDN.org domains February 1st 2004:-(

  • To: Jean-Michel <jmbecar@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] Deletion of all IDN.org domains February 1st 2004:-(
  • From: Jean-Michel <jmbecar@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:13:27 +0900
  • Cc: tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx, "'Robert F. Connelly'" <rconnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Registrars Constituency'" <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would like to clarify the annoucement of Network Solution.
Network Solution stops reselling IDN doesn't mean that Verisign will stop to manage IDN names. At least as far as we know. Looks like NSI is quiet annoying with the customers support and all the burden gives to them like the language barrier and the difficulty of the IDN market.

I don't really any good reason for Verisign to stop as the IDN domains represents a large amount of domains for them. and I don't either understand the NSI solution except the one I just gave above. Now we finally have all the standards and the technology to make them alive and for our japanese customers it's a very good news they are really looking forward to it.

Regards,
Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel wrote:

I don't think Verisign will ever cancel the IDN domains in .comm and .net. They successfully migrated them from RACE to punycode. So for that reason I would like to see PIR doing the same , so we stay consistent with our customers and the domain industry image has a lot to loose with this PIR decision.

Yesterday, I sent an official letter to Paul Twomey cc to PIR asking them to hold off the deletion and to discuss this issue. That letter was the result of a meeting here in Tokyo of ALL registrars concerned with that decision and also some big resellers. And we are all agree that will be very bad for our industry and market. So I would like to see like Bob already tried to get from this list more reaction and I was hoping the RC would put the pressure on PIR in order to migrate those legacy domains to the new standards, because it feasible Verisign did it :-)

Regards,

Jean-Michel

tbarrett wrote:

Bob,
This is worth discussing, since we are receiving inquiries about in-coming transfers of com/net IDN domains. Is there any reason a registrant should transfer their existing domains to another registrar or will they end up being cancelled by Verisign-GRS in a few months anyway? Tom