RE: [registrars] ICANN Fees/Budget going forward

  • To: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] ICANN Fees/Budget going forward
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:03:09 +1000
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Tim,

> But there is also the wildcard issue that we should consider,
> regardless of whether VeriSign is allowed to continue to use
> them right now or not. If ever allowed, I believe it should
> affect the allocation of that registry's fees. They have
> basically registered every possible name for their own
> benefit. Why would this not affect the allocation of fees?

I agree.

There are two separate issues here:

(1) Should wild cards be introduced
- this is mostly being discussed within the context of security and
stability etc

(2) IF wildcards are introduced - what are the impacts
- there are several choices here, e.g
(a) Allow all registrars an equal chance to register the wildcards on
behalf of their clients
(b) As a community determine what the wildcard should be used for
(e.g replace Sitefinder with a more informative error page)
(c) Allow Verisign to use the wildcard for commercial purposes - but in
return this should affect the fee they charge for registrations

There has been much discussion in recent weeks on topic (1).

There has been little discussion on topic (2) - and I would like to see
more discussion on this in Carthage, and on this list.

Regards,
Bruce