[registrars] RE: ICANN fees

  • To: "Monte Cahn" <monte@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] RE: ICANN fees
  • From: "Jason Hendeles" <jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:37:10 -0400
  • Cc: <registrars@xxxxxxxx>, <ebroitman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Monte & Elana-

I for one see no reason at this time to approve any increase in fees.

I don't see how any of these increases benefit our constituency in any way.
Damaging Verisign's wild card sitefinder service or Verisign's desire to
explore new revenue opportunities does not in any way benefit the registrar
constituency or my bottom line as a registrar, so who cares if sitefinder
has been dismantled?

It's time we send ICANN a clear message that we need new revenue
opportunities in order to justify any increase in fees.  The last time ICANN
did anything positive for our constituency was when they authorized the
creation of new domains for the registrars to market.  That was almost 3
years ago.  Since that time they have aggressively undermined our ability to
succeed.  Between WLS and the increased fees, ICANN has continued to
undermine our constituency.

I think the registrars should take this opportunity to apply pressure to
ICANN to open up the process for releasing new domain names and, or allow
the registrar constituency to negotiate a way to revenue share with
Verisign's wildcard service.

I think that we should regect any increase until something tangible is given
back to our constituency.

Jason Hendeles
A Technology Company, Inc.