Re: [registrars] Verisign change to operation of the .com DNS lookup service

  • To: "Elana Broitman" <ebroitman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] Verisign change to operation of the .com DNS lookup service
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:05:48 -0400
  • Cc: ross@xxxxxxxxxx, "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, registrars@xxxxxxxx, brunner@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Longish, in pieces, intended to "help" with the polish(ing).

FYI #1	discussion of this is now taking place on
	IETF IETF list: ietf@xxxxxxxx
	IETF DNS Ops list: dnsop@xxxxxxxx, see draft-ohta-broken-tld--1.txt
	IRTF Anti-spam list: asrg@xxxxxxxx,
	and some other more implementation specific (niche) lists.

FYI #2	At Montevideo (when I worked for Neu* and got roped into working the
	XML with Louis Touton and Cary Karp for .museum), Cary asked me about
	the wildcard hack. I told him it would put a lot of junk back on his
	servers. Without assigning blame, the focus of attention then for that
	registry-registrar relationship was dominated by non-technical issues.

	There are about 10 other TLDs that also have *.tld records.

FYI #3	Patches for bind, versions 9.1.3 and 9.2.2 have been posted by ISC
	this morning,
		"to filter out "wildcard" or "synthesized" data from ...
		 authoritative name servers ...".
	A patches for version 8.4.1 (not by ISC) has been posted as well.

	Declan McCullagh as written on this, see
	http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-5077530.html

FYI #4	The discussion of expections (below) may help with the polishing,
	which is why I began this note, and why this is the next to last
	FYI in this note is just one of those things.