RE: [registrars] Verisign change to operation of the .com DNS lookup service

  • To: "'Bruce Tonkin'" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Jim Archer'" <jim@xxxxxxxxxx>, <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Verisign change to operation of the .com DNS lookup service
  • From: "Bhavin Turakhia" <bhavin.t@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:17:18 +0530
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

While a fair way of doing this for all registrars would be for verisign
to customise that page and state the following on it -

" The domain you have asked for is NOT registered. You may visit any of
the Registrar sites below to regster the same."

Then below this provide a randomised list of registrars, so that the
page as it currently stands prmotes every regiistrar equally as opposed
to promoting only Verisign Registrar

However Frankly from the perspective of DNS there should not be a wild
carded entry AT ALL in the zone. I would be against ANY solution in the
light of the level of confusion this is likely to create and the
applications this is likely to break. There has always been a common
assumption that DNS will resolve existing sites and not resolve sites
which do not exist. This is now turned on its head with the aspect that
EVERY site resolves.

bhavin