RE: [registrars] submission to House Committee - DRAFT

  • To: <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] submission to House Committee - DRAFT
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 19:52:48 -0400
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rick,

Actually my reading of the by-laws prohibit any letter from being sent to
Congress on behalf of the Constituency, as Congress is not an "ICANN
Supporting Organization" or "ICANN Body".

1.2. The purpose of the Registrar Constituency is to represent the views and
interests of professional domain name registrars within ICANN?s Supporting
Organizations and other relevant ICANN bodies in all matters and issues of
its responsibility according to the procedures set forth in the ICANN
Bylaws.

If I may make a recommendation. I would just have each individual registrar
that supports the letter to just put it on company letterhead and send it in
directly. This would also permit registrars to make any changes they feel
are necessary, plus it is likely to be a lot quicker.

Overall I do not believe that this letter will achieve its intended goal,
educating or quelling Congress's concerns. To contrary, based on the mood I
saw first hand in that room yesterday, this letter would only be viewed as
throwing gasoline on the fire. I will explain in an email later this weekend
why I believe this to be so, but I have other stuff that needs to be taken
care of.

Just my two cents for what they are worth.

Mike