RE: [registrars] Lawmakers Domain name oversight too lax CNET News.com

  • To: <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Lawmakers Domain name oversight too lax CNET News.com
  • From: "Rob Hall" <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 14:04:09 -0400
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The meeting was very interesting from a global point of view.

It was clear that the committee believes there is an imminent and serious
problem with Registrars, and how they police whois data.

It was also clear that in thinking of how this can be solved, the committee
is not thinking globally.  One suggestion made by them was that since all
Registrars verify the address of the person against the credit card to
prevent fraud, then why do they let someone put a different address on the
whois data.    As an example, this is flawed thinking, as only the US has
address verification abilities on their merchant processing.

I was also shocked that no one pointed out to the committee that the current
complaint system works.  In fact, it's very use was used to show how large
the problem is.

Basically, about 10,000 whois problem reports have been filed with ICANN.
(I believe the commerce department testified that this was one threehudredth
of one percent of all domain names).

Mr. Ben Edleman proclaimed that he believed that a few percent of the whois
data is wrong, and that it was probably as high as 10% of the domains had
bad data on it.  Ben then went on to say that he had a study of over 30,000
domains that had bad data on them.

Frankly, doesn't that beg the question of why the hell Ben didn't submit
them to ICANN as incorrect whois data ?

We have a system that works.  You complain about it on a public website, the
Registrar gets notified and takes action.

Then along come Ben and others who loudly say this is a huge problem, but
refuse to even use the existing system.

The fact that the ICANN system has only seen 10,000 complaints does not mean
it is not the right solution.  People refuse to notify anyone when they
discover bad data (and it appears even Ben has done exactly that).  There
are no barriers I know of to notification.  Perhaps this isn't as big a
problem as it was blown up to be yesterday.

But the committee is clearly banging down the path of attempting to get the
department of commerce to insert into it's MOU sanctions against Registrars
who have bad data.

Rob.