Re: [registrars] DRAFT Standard form for use by losing registrars after a transfer is initiated

  • To: ross@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] DRAFT Standard form for use by losing registrars after a transfer is initiated
  • From: Larry Erlich <erlich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 13:02:45 -0400
  • Cc: registrars@xxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(The "gaming" issue has been clarified.)

What are we talking about here? Is
this is the language we "must USE"
or  is this is the language we "must INCLUDE"?

If "must include" then gaming can still be done
simply by adding other language to the message
that includes the information specified.

It would probably be a good idea to
add some text stating what it means
to "change registrar" exactly and what
the function of a registrar is. Customers often
don't know what role
the registrar plays.  I have seen multiple
cases of customers who are convinced by their
web hosting company that they need to switch
registrar in order to get hosting. This seems
to happen with resellers of Network Solutions.
We get frequent calls from people who
claim they can't get their site hosted
with XYZ hosting unless NSI is the registrar
of the domain name.

Larry

Ross Wm. Rader wrote:

> On 9/3/2003 8:16 AM Tim Ruiz noted that:
>
> > Ross, I have no doubt that would be Tucows' preference.
>
> Its important to our customers that the gaming stop. If gaming wasn't an
> issue, we wouldn't need these overly complex impositions on our
> processes. This isn't about libertarian pretensions Tim, its about the
> failure of industry to regulate itself in a manner that evenly handles
> consumer rights in addition to its own capital interests.
>
> Its called a long-term view of a healthy industry segment - which I
> believe to be the preference of most people that are serious about this
> business.
>
> --
>
>                         -rwr

Larry Erlich - DomainRegistry.com, Inc.