[registrars] Some humor -- bimbo.biz, a Mexican/Spanish bakery or Ms. Round Heels?

  • To: registrars@xxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [registrars] Some humor -- bimbo.biz, a Mexican/Spanish bakery or Ms. Round Heels?
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:34:57 -0400
  • Cc: brunner@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A friend in Indian Country sent me this, its a UDRP case, but sort of funny.

I've reformatted it and am violating someone's copyright I'm sure.

Enjoy,
Eric

BEGIN TEXT

Californian Lars Taylor insisted that not even the famous Iberian baker
could claim as a trademark a common word defined in Webster's dictionary
as slang for "a morally loose woman."

His still-blank site, Taylor said, would probably cater for the "adult,
novelty and humor" market -- far from the family oriented merchandise
associated with the Barcelona-based firm, and unlikely to confuse Web
surfers.

Bimbo S.A. owns a series of sites ranging from bimbo.com and bimbo.es to
bimbogames.net.

The company's parent, Mexico's Grupo Bimbo, is one of the top commercial
bakers in the world, was founded in 1945 and named after a bear in the
company's logo.

It complained to the United Nations copyright agency WIPO that Taylor had
been guilty of bad-faith "cybersquatting" -- setting up a fake site with a
famous name to sell it at a profit -- and sought a ruling ordering him to
hand it over.

But an arbitrator for WIPO, which runs a system to settle domain name
disputes on the Internet, rejected the complaint and ruled that Taylor could
remain the master of his private bimbo, according to a statement from the
Geneva-based agency.

Disputes taken to WIPO are submitted and adjudicated by e-mail, and no
representatives of either side were in Geneva to comment.

END OF TEXT