RE: [registrars] wls and domain expiraion dates (9/11)
- To: "Registrars List" <Registrars@xxxxxxxx>
- Subject: RE: [registrars] wls and domain expiraion dates (9/11)
- From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 10:37:46 +1000
- Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Thread-index: AcNczTmCk09MPD4PS52zFe0gUWeH5wAd2nuQ
- Thread-topic: [registrars] wls and domain expiraion dates (9/11)
> Will the registry be making available a list of all domains
> deleting in the next 12 months and their expiration date?
The only problem is that the same information will also be used for
unsolicited marketing of domain name renewals to current registrants.
The problem is that this information has already been obtained by most
players likely to use such marketing tactics through the mining of
port-43 WHOIS. Note also that many of the names due to expire will be
renewed, and hence will never become available.
I would oppose this suggestion.
The list of names that WILL DEFINITELY be deleted, and are no longer
allocated to a particular registrant (ie no longer a WHOIS entry for the
name) that arises from the Redemtion Grace Period is fine. Also I
understand that the WLS will not apply to names that are listed for
deletion so that the current techniques for obtaining deleted names will
continue to be available.