[registrars] Ballot Procedure Discussion

  • To: "Robert F. Connelly" <rconnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Registrar Constituency" <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] Ballot Procedure Discussion
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 13:35:04 -0400
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bob:

A couple of comments.

First, the constituency has always been about accountability. When
registrars can hide in anonymity on ballots that to me is not a step in the
right direction. Moreover, it might subject the ExCom to litigation and
discover requests to see how members voted. I believe the Pool.com recent
lawsuit filed this past week in conjunction with the WLS is a case in point,
as well as my own experience during the VeriSign contract renegotiations in
Melbourne in 2000. That being said, the experience of the last couple of
ballots where members were getting inundated with calls, sometime with
candidates getting people to try to change their vote, was not a positive
development. Therefore, I believe Option #3 is the best.

With regard for the need to obtain a neutral third party to conduct the
ballot, I would like to offer the following solution which costs nothing and
has built in accountability.

It is possible with the Boardroom account to create multiple accounts. I
would recommend creating a Superuser Admin Account that the entire ExCom
would have access to - same user ID & Password. This superuser account would
then be used to create/initiate the ballot. The Boardroom account also has a
feature to track user activity and is available to all administrator
accounts which I think all ExCom should have. With this feature the ExCom
could track user activity to see if the SuperUser account was ever accessed
during the pendancy of the vote. Thus there is a built in safety mechanism
to prevent the ExCom from peeking in on the results during the voting
process. Rick could you please verify the functionality of the software.

Just some constructive comments that people may find useful.

Mike