ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

net-com

Re: [net-com] Response to Marc Schneiders on the .net list

  • To: Cary Karp <ck@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [net-com] Response to Marc Schneiders on the .net list
  • From: Marc Schneiders <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 19:59:45 +0200 (CEST)
  • Cc: <net-com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-net-com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I hope I am not appearing to be rude. But as a rep of consumers I do
not care what reason there is for registries to lower their prices. We
are talking about a REGULATED market. What is wrong with making the
price an issue in granting the new .NET contract? What are we
protecting if we don't? Not the interest of my constituency, I guess.
Naturally I am not in favour of granting new .NET to a company that
says it can do it for $0.10, but with just 2 nameservers for the TLD,
both located on a pacific island, where electricity hapens to be free.

I do not believe though in additional services and the like as a
criterium. I see no other than price (given a decent level of
technical performance). All the rest appears to me to be protecting a
cartel. I am sorry.