ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

net-com

Re: [net-com] Re: Draft report version 4

  • To: Cary Karp <ck@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [net-com] Re: Draft report version 4
  • From: Marc Schneiders <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 16:14:46 +0200 (CEST)
  • Cc: <net-com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-net-com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Mon, 24 May 2004, at 11:31 [=GMT+0200], Cary Karp wrote:

> Quoting Thomas:
>
> > To quote from Jeff's note, "rather than price, one needs to look at
> > 'value'." All we need to know is that lower registry-to-registrar
> > pricing gives registrars less supply-side cost per domain name, and
> > enables more competition on the registrar market -- maybe in terms
> > of "value" to registrants, maybe in terms of price across all TLDs,
> > maybe in terms of price for registrations in a specific TLD.
>
> Extrapolating from the numbers Jeff provided, the registrar-registrant
> price can't be expected to reflect lower registry-to-registrar pricing.

Without daring to doubt either the numbers or the extrapolation allow
me to present as contrast the lower pricing for .biz and .us names
offered by Enom (for new registrations), reflecting the lower pricing
Enom pays to the registry. I've seen with Enom $4.95 for new .us and
.biz names, while .com etc. are $6.95.