Re: [ga] Alternative Domain Name Distribution Models

Dear Michael,
domain names management is regulated by money/power independently from any topological rule. You can buy the same domain name in 200 TLDs. If you have the money. You can also buy PI's (permanent IP address). This is the AmerICANN model. If something belongs to everyone, let me sell it to the biggest for more money.

Technically and economically, this model does not make sense (it currently works, but it cannot scale). This is the whole ROAP IETF/IAB problem which could result into an InterNat (thank you!) grassroots solution if they do not agree and implement a better one much faster than IPv6. The reason is the same: names cost (who need them to cost so much?) because ICANN/Registrars disrespect the TLD logic; ROAP is due to RIR not respecting the IPv6 logic.

There are more Registrars than RIRs. So the question is (1) how long could Registrars resist a growth decrease before one goes broke and create general distrust in the AmerICANN model (2) how long would it take for an IETF Internet IP/DNS patch the community would adopt and implement under pressure.

These are the two real questions the IGF CIR (Critical Internet Resources) has to address in Rio and the enhanced cooperation to enhance during the months to follow. Every serious one knows that these questions are on the table and that the true responses will decide of the ICANN/Registrar/NRO good or poor future. You probably know better than most the response. Please tell us. The sooner we can work on an alternative Internet, if we must do it, the more chances we can overcome the difficulty.

jfc