Re: [ga] GA contribution

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>, GA <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] GA contribution
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:48:56 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eric,

The ICANN Staff rationale for this negotiated
settlement was already announced two weeks ago on the
Registrars list -- see
http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/registrars/msg05034.html

It's really a lousy decision between two parties that
fails to address the issues raised earlier by Tim Ruiz
and Jon Nevett -- see their comments at
http://forum.icann.org/lists/museum-renewal-2007/

Staff simply took out the word "register" in an effort
to placate the registrars, and reduced the number of
names "under direct management" by 1000 -- nothing
more than cosmetic surgery on the earlier proposed
contract language.

The result of this agreement is already in conflict
with Recommendation 19 in the new gTLDs GNSO Report:
"Registries must use only ICANN accredited registrars
in registering domain names" (although, in my view,
it's a really stupid recommendation that probably
violates antitrust laws anyway).

Karl Auerbach also makes a good point regarding
modifications to current registry contracts; his
comment is here:
http://forum.icann.org/lists/museum-renewal-2007/msg00004.html

http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-31aug07.htm

http://sims.yahoo.com/