Re: [ga] New York State Domain Law

Danny Younger wrote:
[excerpt] A measure sponsored by Senator Betty Little
(R,C,I-Queensbury) aimed at preventing a person from
registering a domain name that is similar to or the
same as another living person or business with the
specific intent to profit from selling the domain name
to that person or business has been signed into law.

Problems:

  - Federal preemption

- Jurisdictional reach (i.e. suppose I sit here in California and register "SpitzerForPresident.ewe" via a California registrar that uses a California based registry?

- Vagueness: Suppose I register "Spitzer.ewe" because I like the name and only later decide to try to try to sell it to Eliot?

- More vagueness: And what if I want to buy it for myself, not to profit from, but to use for non-copyrighted uses (e.g. to display public-domain pre-historic cave paintings)?

		--karl--