[ga] GA List Rules

  • To: ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] GA List Rules
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 19:09:51 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So now the draft list rules have been made public for 9 days. There has been some great input.

  One of the factors I like very much is changing from a flat  5 a day post limit. For some reason, call it a rebellious streak, I really hated that arbitrary number. I believe the new curved method will work out. We still must remain vigilant against those who would use the monitoring as censorship. If you even suspect censorship, let the list know.

  Incorporating ICANN core documents into our rules seemed a daunting task at first. I found myself rereading years of complaints about ICANN. Did you know there are few complaints about ICANN's documents? It is the enforcement thereof or the lack of adherence thereto that causes a rub.  I hope by looking at the given language you will agree that they are decent terms to live by.

  So between now and Monday we will post the new rules for a 10 day public comment period.
  And then take them to the Names Council to get approval for implementation. Hopefully then we can access the mechanics to run a more stable and fruitful list.

  A word or more on censorship and republishing. Censorship should not be tolerated. However privileged lists and action words can and are a fact of life. Here we have tried to only guide  written activity that in and of itself causes some damage. This can be either content or volume. I cannot see a single one time use of a word or words that will cause problems.
  Republishing of defamation, and/or theft of ip interests. It is not our intent to republish or not republish such matters. I can't find any rules that allow free and open debate yet censor this type of content.

  Eric,
  as GA Chair