Re: [ga] 57,732,289

  • To: Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] 57,732,289
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 08:16:27 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Re:  "Thats alot of deletes.  A very significant
number of deletes.  This should be investigated.  Is
there any reason given or speculation as to why this
happened?"

Joe,
this is part of a trend that has been known to ICANN
via monthly registry data since February 2005.  See
the following table (and further comments below):

.com & .net GROSS DELETES

Quantity	Month
57,732,289      03-07
55,794,877  	02-07
47,824,131  	01-07
41,091,749  	12-06
35,015,877  	11-06
36,210,711  	10-06
36,066,561  	09-06
35,731,903	08-06
31,904,189	07-06
32,060,586  	06-06
34,114,086  	05-06
34,223,433  	04-06
32,866,971	03-06
23,644,523	02-06
26,701,798	01-06
29,457,617	12-05
26,439,646  	11-05
21,667,963  	10-05
14,233,772	09-05
10,454,849	08-05
12,659,467	07-05
10,714,766	06-05
7,912,737  	05-05
3,236,640	04-05
2,541,295  	03-05
1,601,883  	02-05
678,215  	01-05
718,469  	12-04
640,815  	11-04
630,199	        10-04
630,204	        09-04
597,915	        08-04
607,317	        07-04
716,717	        06-04
747,450	        05-04
775,523	        04-04
699,799	        03-04
531,702	        02-04
527,852	        01-04
541,396	        12-03
533,603	        11-03
545,614	        10-03
557,411	        09-03
1,257,714	08-03
605,614	        07-03

The add grace period has been exploited to accomodate
what has been described as "domain tasting".   These
gross deletes reflect this activity.

While in time something will be done about this
situtation, the bigger issue in my mind is how to deal
with the ICANN lethargic response to problems.

It took 18 months for any ICANN group to even notice
the emerging trend; it took another year just to get
an Issues Report requested; we now have to wait for
additional "fact-finding" requested by the GNSO
Council; then we'll have to wait for a PDP that can
take up to two years to complete.

A five-year cycle to deal with issues demonstrates
that the ICANN institution lacks the resolve to timely
deal with matters at hand... how long have we been
debating WHOIS policy... six years already without a
resolution?

This is the antithesis of efficiency.  It demonstrates
an attitude of "if we ignore it long enough maybe the
problem will go away...".  One has to wonder how long
ICANN will ignore wildcards in the cameroon namespace?
 I guess they're waiting for Kevin Ham to launch even
more wildcards in the ccTLD space before they deign to
initiate action of any kind.

A malaise has infected ICANN...