Re: [ga] Proposal: New Cross-constituency mailing list

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Proposal: New Cross-constituency mailing list
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 17:59:28 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: Debbie Garside <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kieren.mccarthy@xxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Allow me to ask you two august men to not hamper or hinder people who do not share your robust negative and pessimistic attitudes.

  Eric

Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  George Kirikos wrote:

> That's part of the "noise" -- there is no chair to this list, and the
> handful of people who've been pretending there is one (perhaps they
> don't have a Nintendo Wii to play with or an Sony Playstation) have
> been adding to the noise.

When I try to use electronic games, I lose... badly.

My take on this is this: that a forum dies when any consensus
(consensi?) that are formed will have no future but to be ignored.

ICANN replaced both the elections for directors and the GA with the
ALAC. That cut the roots and the vines withered.

It is no wonder that the ALAC is also a withered vine, kept alive only
through the infusion of ICANN money: the ALAC is a body that is provides
no method through which ordinary internet users can reasonably believe
that their points of view will be considered, much less that they might
have an effect. The closest historical model for the ALAC is the old
system of village soviets, regional soviets, and supreme soviet that
were such Potemkin village of faux-democracy in the old Soviet Union.

There are good people in the ALAC - Roberto, Vittorio are really fine
people. But they would have much more perceived authority had they
obtained their voices through a process in which there is a direct path
between internet users and the choice of people to fill their positions.
The current system has so many layers and dilutions that internet
users feel that it gives them about as much control as they would have
using a strand of limp string to push a bowling ball up a steep mountain.

That's why people left the GA - ICANN removed its pathway into the heart
of ICANN. And no new forum, absent that pathway, will achieve vibrancy
and will be dead on arrival.

--karl--