Re: Don't screw up our ICANN (was RE: [ga] RE: issues that are long closed?)

Quoting JFC Morfin on Thursday July 05, 2007:

| However, the fear of a legal responsibility of ICANN comes from its
| pretence that it _operates_ the Internet, instead of accepting that
| the only possible stable position for ICANN is to _serve_ the

When has ICANN claimed it operates the Internet? I don't see anyone
making that claim.

| Internet national, global, and specialized communities, being
| accountable to their Trustees (who also happen to be their ccTLD
| Managers).

You're kidding right? ccTLD Managers are designated as trustees for
running their country's ccTLD, not to be the trustees for ICANN, or the
Internet as a whole. ccTLD Managers are only expected to be accountable
to their local Internet communities on how to run their ccTLD.

I think if you honestly believed what you are saying, you'd be calling
for the abolition of all of ICANN's constituencies and letting ccTLD
Managers set all ICANN policy. However it would seem absurd that ICANN
only be accountable to what you have designated as its "trustees". In
the case of the United States of America, for example, that would mean
Neustar would be responsible the country's oversight of ICANN.

| A lean ICANN as a secretariat of the Internet communities' Trustees
| keeping an Excel table is what users need.

ICANN's entire mission is encompassed by maintaining a single table in a
spreadsheet listing ccTLD Managers?

kim