Re: [ga] RE: issues that are long closed?

Karl, Roberto and all,

  We have been over and over this ground before with you
Robert.  Why is it that you don't get it?  Is it memory depravation,
some other memory related malady?  Anyway, mostly as before,
I agree with Karl here, but not totally.  I believe a little more direct
representation is necessary so that bad elected individuals can be
kept in line.  Referendum voting on some issues is a healthy
thing as well as serves as check on elected representatives.  And
super majorities are only necessary when a vote by the members
is called on a decision by their elected representatives.

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> Roberto Gaetano wrote:
>
> > The problem is that if we have electors who number in the millions, which is
> > the target, there is no way that a Director could keep the contact with his
> > electoral body, and that the electors could debate the issues and influence
> > the position of the Director on the Board.
>
> I represented approximately 330,000,000 people.  I maintained a website,
> published a diary (it now would be called a blog) of what I was doing, and I
> spent a lot of time doing email, both one-to-one, and also on lists such as
> this.  It took a lot work, and not every email was answered, but it is quite
> feasible.
>
> Moreover, I have long advocated that ICANN start doing something that is common
> elsewhere - director stipends.  If ICANN were to cover up to $50,000 each year
> of expenses for each director, it would be possible for each director to
> obtain, at least on a part time basis, some resources to help with the load.
> Now that would have an affect on the volunteer status of directors and thus
> upon their legal vulnerabilities, so each director would have to decide whether
> to accept it or not.
>
> > In the 2000 elections this has left the Directors free to take any position,
> > regardless the opinion of the electorate, who was in any way generally not
> > consulted.
>
> A director has to always keep in mind that he/she is not the representative of
> the people who elected him/her to office - a director's position is not a
> political position.
>
> It does take a bit of chutzpah, not to mention some suspension of a sense of
> personal humility to say "I speak on behalf of 330,000,000 people."  (Indeed,
> once before the US Senate I said "I represent more people than does the
> President of the United States."  [The senator in question was clearly of the
> "wind bag" variety - his voters threw him out of office last year.]  ;-)
>
> > For this reason I think that that model is not workable. I cannot claim that
> > the ALAC model is perfect, or even better, but it attempts to address the
> > key issue, which in my vision of the world, is not "voting power" but
> > "contributing power".
>
> While that may be a useful mental construct, it does contain more than a small
> grain of paternalism.  Queen Victoria of England and King Leopold of Belgium
> tried to justify their denial of political power to the people of their African
> colonies on a basis that could be considered as similar, if perhaps extremely
> more concentrated, than your notion that the power to say what is in the public
> interest is limited to those who have some special status.
>
>   In other words, the ability to debate and express
> > positions is, in my opinion, more important to the ability to express a vote
> > every three year, while nothing happens in between.
>
> The power, using a US colloquial phrase, "to throw the bums out" lies at the
> [...]

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827