Re: [ga] Haiti, the Internet and ICANN

  • To: Andy Gardner <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Haiti, the Internet and ICANN
  • From: jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 17:00:14 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
  • Cc: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi <bashar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Andy and all,

  Andy I don't know for a fact that my government is doing
what you seem to believe it is.  Abu Greb was indeed wrong
and the handling of it was also wrong.  However as an individual,
I believe the methods used to extract information, althought
very humiliating indeed, were one of the most effective means
in dealing with those prisoners in Abu Greb in order to
extract information.  But this is *only* my personal opinion.
However as compared to Haiti's many decades long human rights
violations noted by the USTR, and several UN organizations,
pale by comparison.  Hence the signal ICANN is sending, not
the American, Canadian, or any government entity what so ever,
is a very bad one and should be widely condemned accordingly.

  ICANN needs to understand clearly that it is a contracted
agent of DOC/NTIA and not a government in and of itself.  DOC/NTIA
I am sure will be hearing about this ICANN decision in short order.
I am sure what they will be hearing will be significantly in the
negative regarding this errant and horrible decision.