RE: [ga] Increased foreign attendance

  • To: <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Increased foreign attendance
  • From: "Debbie Garside" <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:02:19 +0100
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> >Just a couple of small observations not directed at anyone
> but rather
> >for the thread as a whole.  Technically government ministries
> >(supposedly) represent the people who elected them.
>
>  Haiti doesn't have a democratically elected government.

It is as democratic as possible -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_elections,_2006

> >On a further note, many of us (probably most in this forum) have an
> >option as to whether we spend our money going to ICANN
> meetings.  Questions like:
> >is it worth the expense or is it not?  Do I want to spend my
> money on
> >this or shall I have an extra holiday with my family? Can I
> afford the time?
> >Etc.  Come into play.  For some the prospect of going to an ICANN
> >meeting means spending 4 years (+) income!  Not really an
> option is it!
> >http://www.cbuhaiti.org/about_haiti.htm
>
> Yes there always is a option.  As a matter of fact, I spent
> nearly 10years of my income on the property and the house I
> live in.  So I am failing to see your point.  Can you expand further?

Lucky you, I am still payng for my house.  The point is, my dear, you have
an income and a house and... CHOICE!

> >I, for one, applaud the initiative.  I wish there were more such. If
> >there were no such initiative, no doubt, members of this
> forum would be
> >beating ICANN around the head with a big stick demanding it!
>  Perhaps
> >we could change the essence of this thread to how ICANN can improve
> >their "Inclusion Initiatives" as opposed to griping about
> participants
> >being "paid" to attend.
>
>   I have no problem with ICANN paying financially challanged
> individuals to attend.  I DO have a problem with those whom
> ICANN pays to attend from "exotic lands" to be corporate
> representatives or government officials of various sorts.  To
> do so is one of the worst forms of nepotism.

Why?  If they can learn something that will assist them in forming policies
and providing services to their people where is the harm?