Re: [ga] Increased foreign attendance

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Increased foreign attendance
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 02:52:10 -0700
  • Cc: froomkin@xxxxxx, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Roberto and all,

  Who decides what is and what is not civilized debate?  Veni?,
Vint?  Who?  What are the criterion for determining what is
or is not civilized debate?  Is freedom of speech and expression
in any way determined by constitutional law or case law there
unto pertaining for this At Large liaison?  Has it ever been?
Are there recordings available?

  You see Roberto your own words below mean little and
cannot be believed as users and independent domain name
holders cannot speak freely for or have their own
elected representative whom they elected, speak for
and/or with them.  A liaison cannot do so realistically nor can he
vote for anyone whom he is proporting to speak for which means
his words are easily ignored and have no real value.

Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> Michael Froomkin wrote:
> >
> > As for the RALOs they're so far from the Board's ear that one
> > wonders whether anyone takes them seriously or if they're
> > just there to let ICANN insiders bamboozle the press.  There
> > is no constitutency now represented in ICANN that would ever
> > settle for such poor representation.  The day that, say,
> > businesses, who also number in the millions, are asked to
> > organzie along the same lines is the day that I'll start to
> > take RALO's seriously.
>
> I would like to offer a different perspective.
> Businesses belong to the Business Constituency of the GNSO. That
> constituency is one of the 6 in the Council. In the Name Council you have
> also the NomCom representatives, and two constituencies (Registries and
> Registrars) have weighted voting.
> So, they count in the Council for slightly more than 10% of the voting.
> The current GNSO-elected Board Directors come from the IPC and Registrars,
> and the former came from NCUC. Previous Directors also came, if I am not
> mistaken, from IPC or Registrars. So the Business Constituency as such has
> zero power on the Board.
> The ALAC, on the contrary, has a non-voting Liaison. Although the Liaison
> does not have a vote, I can assure you, for having been ALAC Liaison for 3+
> years, that his/her voice is heard and taken into account. In simple words,
> the Liaison does not have the power of voting, but does have the power of
> directly influencing, during Board meetings. Of course, if the Liaison is
> only complaining and bitching, he/she will no longer be listened to, while
> if he/she is available to debate in a civilized way, there is wide room for
> being able to have ALAC's points of view taken into account in shaping the
> final decision.
>
> On the same line of reasonment, maybe we could wonder whether there is a
> correlation between the fact that most of what goes on now in the GA is
> complaining or resuscitating issues that are long closed and the fact that
> the Board does not pay attention. Or whether there is a correlation between
> the fact that whenever somebody new does not conform to the groupthink
> he/she gets attacked and the fact that very few newcomers resist in the GA
> for long.
>
> Best regards,
> Roberto

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827