Re: [ga] ICANN Employment Policies and Related Materials

Danny Younger wrote:
It would be appreciated it the current version of
ICANN's Employment Policies and Related Materials
could be posted.  I am concerned by (1) what appears
to be a lack of a policy regarding cronyism; (2) ICANN
staff interactions with the public that disparage
certain participants.

I recall that such documents were earlier publicly
posted after Karl Auerbach asserted his right to the
disclosure of certain corporate documents, but I don't
recall seeing any updated materials.

One of the things that I *did* inspect was ICANN's employee policies.

It was interesting that the bulk of 'em were created between the time I asked and the time I saw, in fact some were created in the few days just before I read 'em.

They were perfectly adequate - adequate, not great. However they were custom brewed text from the not inexpensive firm of JDRP. And they were far from complete and were clearly not the work of a single comprehensive, coordinated scheme.

There is nothing particularly unique or special about ICANN's employee handbook that would suggest that it ought not to be made public.

(ICANN has several very good employees, and care should be taken to make it clear that questions about employee policies are not questions about the quality of individual employees.)

I suggested, in my recommendations to ICANN - the same recommendations that one ex board member has dismissed as irrelevant - that ICANN could have saved tens upon tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees (perhaps more) simply by buying one of the software packages that asks a bunch of questions and produces an employee handbook. The quality of those software packages and the results they produce are usually very, very good. They tend to have a lot of consistency between the various provisions and they are often designed to allow easy yearly updates to handle the changes in the applicable law.

Now, one has to take care to distinguish between those people who are actual employees of ICANN and those who are consultants. The legal status is quite different, as is the confidentiality of the terms they work, such as the rate of compensation.

		--karl--