[ga] ICANN to tackle transparency, top-level domain issues

  • To: "ga" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] ICANN to tackle transparency, top-level domain issues
  • From: sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:21:11 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

See article:
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=printArticleBasic&articleId=9025724

Quote from above mentioned article:

"A key effort ICANN is involved with is improving the transparency of its
operations and the accountability of its decisions -- areas critics
regularly complain about. "We must ensure we're in the leading edge of
transparency and accountability," Twomey said."

LMAO!  Sure Paul... whatever you say...  Are you on drugs?

"ICANN commissioned an independent study about its transparency and
accountability in December from London's One World Trust, which reported
its findings in March. It concluded that ICANN is a very transparent
organization but that it could improve certain areas, including better
explaining how it uses input from stakeholders when making decisions. "

I am forced to conclude that Paul Twomey and the "independent study"
authors from London's One World Trust MUST be on drugs... there's no other
explanation.  Unless, of course, they are part of a secret conspiracy and
are nothing more than brainwashed automatons serving the interests of some
behind-the-scenes power brokers whose names we're not likely to ever
know...

I have followed/participated in ICANN since its inception and all I can
say is that I don't think a more convoluted and byzantine organization
exists on this planet, unless it's the UN.  Of course, most people who
read such news don't know a thing about ICANN to begin with, so blatant
whitewashes such as those above don't even register with the mass of
Internet users who happen upon such "news".

I think it's time we started considering pie-in-the-face techniques at
ICANN public meetings.  Can you picture Paul Twomey wearing a meringue
mask right after he touts ICANN's 'transparency'... food for thought, no?

Sotiris