[ga] ndependent review and information disclosure policies posted

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] ndependent review and information disclosure policies posted
  • From: "Edward Hasbrouck" <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 05:22:39 -0700
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Saturday, ICANN quietly posted proposed "information disclosure"
policies, and a new link to another Web site that allegedly contains the
independent review procedures (although these have never been publicly
discussed or approved by ICANN).  The new rules are part of the "ICANN
Accountability and Transparency Frameworks and Principles".

In the guise of measures for transparency and independent review, these
newly posted policies and procedures would make explicit ICANN's secrecy
and lack of accountability to the public or to any independent body. In
their fine print, these policies and procedures would violate ICANN's
Bylaw's on transparency and independent review, and strip those provisions
of the Bylaws of any practical meaning or value.

I've posted as detailed comments to the public forum as my time and the
short notice permit, listing a few of the most obvious direct
contradictions between the proposed policies and ICANN's Bylaws:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/draft-mop-2007/msg00001.html
http://forum.icann.org/lists/draft-mop-2007/msg00002.html

Edward Hasbrouck
<edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>