Re: [ga] [RAA]Escrowing Proxy Data instead of True Registrant Data

At 06:27 a.m. 19/05/2007, you wrote:
Danny Younger wrote:

"4.1.4 Registrars ...

A failure to escrow the data pertaining to the "real
registrant" (by making it optional) is a horribly bad
idea.

Danny, on this point I tend to differ.

If, and please note the "if", customers are made aware in advance of the situation and chose to value their privacy over other concerns than it make sense for the registration system to honor that choice.

Personally, my own sense is that the entire escrow mechanism is the wrong approach.

As an addition to Escrow and as an alternative to demanding it for sensitive private data, I think that the RAA should require from registrars that they, upon request, issue certificates of ownership to all registrants who wish to protect both their privacy and their domain name.
Forge- resistant certificates involve some cost, but registrars could make it into a supplementary business by being allowed to charge a small fee.

-joop-