Re: [ga] ICANN kicks TLD applicants

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN kicks TLD applicants
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 22:58:50 -0700
  • Cc: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dr. Dierker, Karl and all,

  As I recall in 2000 ICANN was desperate for $$ and they did
pre announce that the $200k? for each applicant was not refundable.
So Dr. Dierkers remarks seem to indicate and illustrate a good basis
for doing a bad business deal.  I can only agree with Karls conclusions
as ICANN should have never in 2000 made such a proposal and
DOC/NTIA should also have never approved same.

  I guess ole P.T. Barnum had a few thing right, i.e.: "There's a
sucker born every min." and "lawyers like politicians all lie,
they just do so with remarkable dexterity".

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    What I never got was why they paid it?  The only way I can see it,
> is if they were promised something. But to pay it on the chance of a
> fair shot to get the TLD seems odd in and of itself.
>
>   Eric
>
> Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   The following statement from ICANN staff, apparently a statement not
>
> authorized by the board, to be one of the host hideous thing to ever
> be
> emitted by ICANN. Given the statements from ICANN's highest
> authorities
> that the year 2000 applicants who did not get the nod at that time
> were
> merely placed on hold, this statement smacks of duplicity or worse.
>
> In my mind it is tantamount to ICANN expropriating over $2,000,000,
> plus
> interest for 7 years, plus the priority position for certain names,
> from
> those who were not rejected, but not approved, in year 2000.
>
> http://www.icann.org/correspondence/schwartz-to-hemphill-24jan07.pdf
>
> To add to this, there are rumors now that ICANN wants new TLD
> applications to be accompanied by fees of one to two million US
> dollars.
>
> Absurd. Unjustified. Despicable.
>
> --karl--

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827