Re: [ga] Afilias to increase .info price effective October 15, 2007

  • To: "Prophet Partners Inc." <Domains@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Afilias to increase .info price effective October 15, 2007
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 22:08:37 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "John M.R. Kneuer (U.S. Department of Commerce)" <jkneuer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Vint Cerf <vint@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Anick Jesdanun (Associated Press)" <netwriter@xxxxxx>, "Arik Hesseldahl (BusinessWeek)" <Arik_Hesseldahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Paul Sloan (Business2.com)" <psloan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Scott Ard (c|net)" <sard@xxxxxxxx>, "Rachel Rosmarin (Forbes)" <rrosmarin@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Adam Gaffin (NetworkWorld)" <agaffin@xxxxxxx>, "Brian Krebs (Washington Post)" <brian.krebs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, CNN News Tips <ireport@xxxxxxx>, NY Times News Tips <news-tips@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ted and all,

  I agree with your response fully.  I am starting to get some comments
from our members as well, and so far they are three to one against such
a cost increase and some, about 50% believe a reduction in price on
all domain name registrations would better fit the "Real" situation.

  I personally am beginning to believe that there is a price fixing
scheme afoot here which has RICO implications.

Prophet Partners Inc. wrote:

>    Afilias has notified ICANN of a price increase to $6.15 for new
> .info registrations and renewals. The price change will coincide with
> VeriSign's price increase for .com and .net effective October 15,
> 2007. In our opinion, this looks more like collusion and price fixing,
> than a competitive free market environment. We believe it is only a
> matter of time before similar unjustified price increases are
> announced by PIR for .org and NeuLevel for .biz.
> http://icann.org/correspondence/laplante-to-twomey-13apr07.pdf
>
> We believe it is outrageous that wholesale domain prices are rising,
> when the prices of technology products and services continue to
> plummet. This includes, but is not limited to computing power, memory,
> data storage and broadband. The monopolistic registries are making
> obscene profits at the expense of the registrant community, while
> ICANN continues to ignore the best interests of the public that it was
> entrusted to protect. Former ICANN Board member Karl Auerbach was
> recently interviewed for an article at Jay Westerdal's DomainTools
> blog titled "ex-ICANN Board member says .COM costs $0.14".
> http://blog.domaintools.com/2007/04/ex-icann-board-member-
> ays-com-costs-014/
>
> VeriSign cited the growing number of daily DNS queries as being one
> reason that justified their price increases for .com and .net. They
> claimed that VeriSign's DNS received 1 billion daily queries in 2000
> and 30 billion daily queries in 2007.
> http://www.siliconvalley.com/news/ci_5602425
>
> This increase is not only offset by the greater economies of scale
> from selling more .com and .net domain registrations, but the
> increased computing power of CPUs. Gordon Moore, co-founder of Intel
> is widely credited for Moore's Law, which states that "the number of
> transistors on a chip doubles about every two years". As stated on
> Intel's official Moore's Law page, "But Moore's Law also means
> decreasing costs. As silicon-based components and platform ingredients
> gain in performance, they become exponentially cheaper to produce, and
> therefore more plentiful, more powerful, and more seamlessly
> integrated into our daily lives." We would like to emphasize the
> phrase "exponentially cheaper".
> http://www.intel.com/technology/mooreslaw/
>
> We would also like to remind everyone that ICANN completely
> disregarded the near unanimous public opposition to the proposed
> .biz/.info/.org registry agreements, by unanimously approving the
> highly controversial contracts at the São Paulo, Brazil meeting on
> December 8, 2006.
> http://forum.icann.org/lists/biz-tld-agreement
> http://forum.icann.org/lists/info-tld-agreement
> http://forum.icann.org/lists/org-tld-agreement
>
> Sincerely,
> Ted
> Prophet Partners Inc.
> http://www.ProphetPartners.com
> http://www.Premium-Domain-Names.com
>
> CC: John M.R. Kneuer (Assistant Secretary of Commerce for
> [...]

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827