Re: [ga] new TLDs Report: Further options for input

Liz Williams wrote:
Dear GA Listers

This is a general message in response to Danny Younger's posting indicating that the updated draft version of the new TLDs Report had been posted on the GNSO's website. Unfortunately Danny didn't identify where he thought the Report was "odious" and I am unable to divine what improvements could be made in the absence of concrete suggestions and proposed alternative language.

I must differ with your statement that there has been an absence of concrete suggestions.

There are vast improvements that could be made and they have been the subject of massive discussion and specific definition ever since well before 1997.

Much of those improvements are in the form of whitespace - empty blankness to replace existing text.

The most fundamental of all the changes is to reject all limitations on the creation of new TLDs that are not clearly grounded in compelling technical requirements that are clearly and directly related to the technical stability of the upper tiers of the DNS as measured in terms of the ability of those upper tiers to quickly, efficiently, and accurately transform DNS query packets into DNS response packets without prejudice for or against any query source or query subject.

Virtually nothing in the report has such a grounding. In other words, pretty much everything after title of the report could be erased and result in a net (pun intended) improvement.

Anything in the report that lacks this grounding to matters of technical stability is simply social engineering.

If one does accept that ICANN is a social engineering body, and has the legal authority to do so (a dubious proposition), then one can engage in questions regarding whois. But not all of us accept the idea that ICANN is a social engineering body; indeed ICANN's own self-description disavows such a role.

And if one goes even further an accepts that ICANN can and ought to impose economic policies, favoring selected industrial actors, and has the legal authority to do so (an even more dubious propisition), then one can engage in questions of business practices of those who wish to engage in DNS related businesses and the private law-equivalent obligations to impose (such as the UDRP and whois) on consumers of DNS products. But again, not all of us accept that premise and ICANN's own self-description disavows it.

So one should not say that there have not been concrete statements. Danny has many many such statements; virtually all of which have been dropped into ICANN's enormous bit-bucket. And what I just said above, which echoes what I and others have said many times before, that ICANN's TLD policies should be stripped of all requirements not related to technical matters is just such a concrete statement. But just like Danny's suggestions, these too have fallen into the ICANN bit-bucket.

I have a top level domain - .ewe - and I am ready to put it into business - however, I will neither submit to ICANN's odious conditions, nor pay ICANN's extortionate fees for the privilege, nor subject my customers to ICANN's trademark-favoring contractual obligations.

This report, the point of view of an entrepreneur who is willing to risk his own money to deploy an idea, is nothing short of an agreement among incumbent interests and self-interested industrial actors (most particularly the trademark protection industry) to restrain and control the marketplace of domain names; to define product specifications, product prices, and product sales methods; and to limit the entry of new vendors. In other words, this report is nothing short than an agreement among incumbent vendors to restrain trade.

		--karl--