Re: [ga] More thoughts on a Registrants Constituency

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] More thoughts on a Registrants Constituency
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 01:22:02 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eric and all,

  Wikipedia's info on consensus is out dated.  The IETF nor the IAB
strictly rely on their consensus method of determining what should be
a "Standard" as this method has given rise to far too much controversy
over how one knows when a consensus is reached if it cannot be
definitively measured...  And remember also RFC's are not themselves
"Standards" the are "Requests for Comments", ergo RFC.

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    Example of consensus?
>
>   Much by accident I ran consensus through Wikipedia (actually i was
> looking for the proper plural) And I found something they used as an
> example;
>
>   [edit] Examples within computing  Within the Internet Engineering
> Task Force (IETF), the concept of "rough consensus and running code"
> is the basis for the standardization process. It has proven extremely
> effective for standardizing protocols for inter-computer
> communication, particularly during its early years.
>   In computer science, Consensus is a distributed computing problem in
> which a group of nodes must reach agreement on a single value.
> Achieving consensus is a challenging problem in distributed systems,
> particularly as the number of nodes grows or the reliability of links
> between nodes decreases.
>   "Consensus" may also refer to the Consensus theorems in Boolean
> algebra.
>
>   Food for thought when comparing persuasive consensus versus strict
> voting.
>
>   Eric
>
> Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   Sotiris,
> Please, don't confuse the issues. The matter on the table was the
> distribution of the voting rights in the (to be created) registrants
> constituency, and the only relationship it has with enfranchised or
> disenfranchised people is the fact that if we discuss the voting
> rights
> within the constiruency instead of focusing on how to attract
> sympathies to
> the constituency itself, we are only creating the best conditions and
> excuses for not having a registrants constituency.
> At that point we might have a perfect voting mechanism, but no
> constituency.
> Anyway, just MHO.
> Roberto

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827