Re: [ga] Disinformation about DNS attacks

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Disinformation about DNS attacks
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 01:12:37 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Paul Vixie <paul@xxxxxxx>, Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Joe Baptista - New <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "vinton g. cerf" <vint@xxxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, icann staff <icann-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, Dan Swanson <dswanson_2005@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

George and all,

  All very good information here George and most of which
Joe Baptista and I along with a few others like Paul Vixie
have been over several times before on this forum when
similar Disinformation about DNS, DNS attacks, and
other DNS related technical discussions circling around
Bind, ect. of a few years ago now had discussed...

  Remember also, ICANN seemingly cannot survive without
caviar, helicopter transport, exotic fact finding "Junkets",
five star hotel rooms, ect., ect....  >;)  I mean really now,
you really don't want these folks to actually WORK for a
living now do you?  Heaven and DOC/NTIA forbid...
Such a notion would be paramount to sacrilege now
wouldn't it?

George Kirikos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> ICANN has posted a *cough* "factsheet" *cough* on the recent DNS
> attacks, see:
>
> http://blog.icann.org/?p=37
> http://www.icann.org/announcements/factsheet-dns-attack-08mar07.pdf
>
> The timing of the report is perfect, as I just posted:

> Everytime I see these reports of "attacks", my wallet starts to tingle,
> as the scaremongering seems to always result in later demands for "more
> money".
>
> I'll take issue with 1 specific example of disinformation. On page 2,
> it says "In theory, if even one of the 13 root servers is up and
> running, then the Internet will continue to run unhindered as the
> directory will still be visible to the network."
>
> This is very misleading. Indeed, due to caching, the internet can
> function with only minor hiccups if ZERO root servers are up and
> running. The root zone file is very tiny. You can see a copy of it at:
>
> http://www.internic.net/zones/root.zone
>
> How long did that file take to load? Not long, since it is only 68
> KBytes in size! And, if you ignore all the minor banana republic
> countries and TLDs, there really is much less "important" information
> in that 68 KByte file (i.e. due to Zipf's law, see:
>
> http://nms.lcs.mit.edu/papers/dns-ton2002.pdf
> http://www.cs.cornell.edu/people/egs/papers/codons-prenanog.pdf
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zipf's_law
>
> i.e. for most people, .com, .net, .org, .gov, and a few major ccTLDs
> matter most).
>
> What's really important is what happens when the "cache" is stale (i.e.
> the time-to-live (TTL) of the data has expired). Using a telephone book
> analogy, the "TTL" is related to "how often you should check to make
> sure that a phone number has changed." DNS itself can be considered
> like a hierarchical directory of phonebooks, i.e. the root is the
> directory of addresses of where to find the white pages for each
> country (or city), all the way down to the local city phonebook which
> is typically published once per year.
>
> Of course, with DNS, the "TTL" is typically a lot less than the 1 year
> of physical phonebooks. However, this notion that the internet "breaks"
> if zero root servers are available is like saying that the telephone
> system will break if you don't get a copy of this year's phonebook.
>
> An expired cache is similar to using the 2006 phonebook, instead of the
> current 2007. If you look up my phone number in 2006's phonebook, or
> even 2005's whitepages, you'll be fine, as the number is the same as it
> for me in 2007. For a few people, though, the number will be incorrect.
> In a DNS context, thus, having expired cache data need not be greatly
> costly. For example, the IP address for ICANN's website has been the
> same for the past 2 years:
>
> http://whois.domaintools.com/icann.org
>
> IP History:      1 change. Using 1 unique IP address in 2 years.
>
> I suspect you'll find ICANN's website at 192.0.34.163 tomorrow, and the
> [...]

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827