[ga] DMCA Takedown Procedures in revised .xxx appendix S

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] DMCA Takedown Procedures in revised .xxx appendix S
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 12:37:17 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: "'Danny Younger'" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't know if anyone has taken the time to review
ICM Registry's Appendix S (judging from the public
comments thus far, it sure doesn't seem so)... but I
have concerns about the following:

MECHANISMS TO PREVENT, DISCOURAGE, & ADDRESS ABUSIVE
REGISTRATIONS

5.  Rapid Takedown

Analysis of UDRP disputes indicates that the majority
of UDRP cases involve obvious variants of well-known
trademarks. ICM Registry does not believe that the
clearest cases of abusive domain registration require
the expense and time involved in traditional UDRP
filings. Accordingly, ICM Registry will institute a
rapid takedown procedure in which a response team of
independent experts (qualified UDRP panelists) will be
retained to make determinations within 48 hours of
receipt of a short and simple statement of a claim
involving a well-known or otherwise inherently
distinctive mark and a domain name for which no
conceivable good faith basis exists.  Such
determinations will result in an immediate termination
of resolution of the domain name, but will not
prejudice either party?s election to pursue another
dispute mechanism. The claim requirements will be
modeled after the Digital Millennium
Copyright Act. (ICM welcomes IP community input on
this procedure.)

Never miss an email again!