Re: [ga] Registrants Constituency

  • To: "sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Registrants Constituency
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 22:25:33 -0800
  • Cc: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, icann staff <icann-staff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sotiris and all,

  Sad to say, I believe Sotiris is likely correct here given Roberto's
history regarding CORE.  Other than a terrorist organization, CORE
is one of the most ill conceived organizations I have come across
in my lifetime...  There enthusiasm in engendering and conducting
"Information Warfare" is testament to it's ill conception and behavior..
So yes, byzantine indeed.

sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Danny et al.,
>
> I'm willing to bet money that the one thing Roberto DOES NOT mean is a
> Registrant's constituency.  What he's most likely proposing is another
> byzantine layer within ICANN, something like the existing ombudsman
> scenario which will not really benefit Registrants at all.  Same old, same
> old...
>
> Sotiris
>
> > Re:  "If we believe that one of the parties (the
> > consumers) are not protected enough, we need to find a
> > mechanism to protect them better by creating a
> > "consumer protection" body".
> >
> > Roberto,
> >
> > Please advise.  Does your comment signal a willingness
> > on the part of the Board Governance Committee or the
> > ICANN Board itself to consider the creation of a
> > Registrants Constituency within the GNSO? ... or are
> > you considering something else?
> >
> > regards,
> > Danny
> >

> > --- Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Dominik,

> > http://www.internetcommerceassociation.org/the_ica_questions_i
> >> >

> > dent_on_registerfly_accreditation_and_remdedial_action

> >> I know the letter. Incidentally, it is few days old,
> >> and some concerns have
> >> been addressed already by this document, sent the
> >> same day:
> >>
> > http://www.icann.org/correspondence/registerfly-notice-of-breach-21feb07.pdf
> >> .
> >>
> >> However, back to the point of the Ombudsman, I think
> >> that we have different
> >> opinions on his/her role.
> >> To me, and this is only my opinion, although I
> >> believe that it is shared by
> >> several Directors, the Ombudsman's only role is to
> >> check whether the Board,
> >> or some entity underneath the Board's control, has
> >> been acting in violation
> >> of the procedures, or has otherwise been unfair to
> >> specific people.
> >> Nowhere it is written (nor meant, nor implied) that
> >> the Ombudsman should
> >> have "sent at least a warning letter to RegisterFly
> >> when this had become
> >> apparent".

> >> Ombudsman
> >>
> >> Maybe.
> >> If your point is that the rights of the registrants
> >> could be defended
> >> better, I am with you.
> >> I do believe that one of the problems we have is
> >> that internet consumers
> >> have insufficient protection. If in the physical
> >> world one of my rights is
> >> violated (let's say, somebody is parked in my
> >> driveway and does not allow me
> >> to get out), there is an authority who has
> >> jurisdiction and that can enforce
> >> the law (in the example, have the car towed away).
> >> However, if the same
> >> happens in the virtual world (let's say, I am the
> >> victim of a DoS attack,
> >> and can't perform my job) there is no obvious
> >> authority I can complain to
> [...]

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827