Re: [ga] Dot-XXX and the Feb 12 ICANN Board meeting

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Dot-XXX and the Feb 12 ICANN Board meeting
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 00:06:08 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, icann staff <icann-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

George and all,

  ICANN has never fulfilled the mission of transparency.  ICANN
has many times held "Secret" meetings dealing with issues of public
importance as has been reported many times on this very forum
amongst several other ICANN created comment forum's.

  We agree that few whom commented officially on .XXX found
it a "palatable" TLD.  I personally have no problem with it being
introduced, but doubt the online adult entertainment industry
will ever migrate from whatever TLD their domain names are
registered in now to .XXX for obvious and varied reasons
already discussed.

  Therefore I believe it is ICANN itself, or some insider in ICANN
whom is indirectly pushing .XXX for reason or reasons not fully
known or wanting to have revealed publicly...

George Kirikos wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> The preliminary report/minutes of the Feb 12 ICANN Board meeting have
> been posted:
>
> http://www.icann.org/minutes/prelim-report-12feb07.htm
>
> I think the following needs to be explored further:
>
> " Kurt Pritz said that in relation to the issue of establishing whether
> there was support for domain creation amongst a sponsorship community
> that ICM had provided extensive evidence for a sponsorsed community and
> that documentation of this could be found in the application. Kurt also
> pointed out that, at the Board's request, additional information had
> been presented to them during ICANN's Mar del Plata Meeting."
>
> To my knowledge, this "extensive evidence" provided by ICM has never
> been made public, and ICANN's staff and Board are not fulfilling their
> mission of transparency if they are considering "secret" supporters.
> Amongst those who've made public comments, it is undeniable that a
> strong majority oppose .XXX, even amongst the adult webmaster
> community.
>
> The notes go on further and state:
>
> "Kurt Pritz said that the last time ICANN had asked ICM to demonstrate
> support from the adult online community they had provided written
> support from about 24 major suppliers of adult online content."
>
> I'd like to see that list posted.
>
> The final resolution stated:
>
> "Whereas, a majority of the Board has serious concerns about whether
> the proposed .XXX domain has the support of a clearly-defined sponsored
> community as per the criteria for sponsored TLDs;
>
> Whereas, a minority of the Board believed that the self described
> community of sponsorship made known by the proponent of the .XXX
> domain, ICM Registry, was sufficient to meet the criteria for an sTLD.
>
> Resolved (07.08) that:
>
> i) the revised version of Appendix S be exposed to a public comment
> period of no less than 21 days; and
> ii) ICANN Staff consult with ICM and provide further information to the
> Board prior to its next meeting, so as to inform a decision by the
> Board about whether sponsorship criteria is met for the creation of a
> new .XXX sTLD.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> George Kirikos
> 416-588-0269
> www.LOFFS.com

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827