Re: [ga] Vote

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Vote
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 23:45:58 -0800
  • Cc: Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dr. Dierker and all,

  I agree fully.  It seems Joop has a different agenda and it seems he
may have in mind as himself as chair with his suggestion of a "Vice
Chair" as his aid of some sort.  Maybe I am reading too much into
his reading and actions?  I hope Joop will correct me if I am, and
be more specific as to his "Vice Chair" idea?

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>   I hate to be a pain but sometimes wording means something. You
> cannot have a chair and a co-chair, perhaps the word being looked for
> is vice chair. Co denotes and equal cooperation in which case the
> would both be co-chairs. Vice indicates an order of succession and
> power, vice being secondary to the prime.
>
>   Representative is and adjective indicating someone who goes out on
> behalf of other(s). Obviously a chairman of a group is a
> representative of that group. It would only be up to that group to set
> forth the degree of representativeness in general or specific.
>
>   The aforementioned illustrates the need to not take these matters
> off list and to handle them in a consensus manner prior to voting. The
> voting booth was a one nonelected man endeavor which was nice of him
> to do but only proved the impropriety of doing it that way. Let us do
> the continuing work to be done here. The fact that people signed up
> but did not vote is even more reason to do it here.
>
>   Eric
>
> Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   At 02:13 p.m. 4/02/2007, Hugh Dierker wrote:
> >I would suggest that we quickly move forward again. This time I would
>
> >suggest we vote here and come up with a consensus as to the wording
> of the
> >next vote. For for that matter we could just come up with a consensus
> on
> >the vote.
> >

> I concur that it is now time to discuss the next step here.
>

> In the Booth we have had 11 votes so far - these voters might not have
>
> voted on the list. On the other hand, why have the other 10
> self-registered
> voters not voted?
> Is more time needed?
>
> Below are the results of the first vote; I think it is fair to take
> that
> as guidance for the next step. Voters appear to want to elect a chair
> (and
> a co-chair) rather than a representative.
>
> These were the questions:
>
> Provided that GA members will come up with nominations, what position
> would
> you first like to hold elections for?
>
> 1. GA Chair, to lead and formalize debate
>
> 2. a GA "representative" to the ICANN Board and the wider world
>
> 3. another position (please describe)
>
> 4. No elections, just referenda on our opinions
>

> One Feb 2,. we had 11 votes
>
> GA chair: 4 votes
>
> GA representative: 2 votes
>
> other: 4 votes
>
> NO elections: 1 votes
>
> Total votes: 11
>
> Under "Other", we had the following comments/suggestions
>
> 1.joop teernstra:
>
> We should vote for a Chair and a co-Chair as backup. We would not want
>
> everything that
> gets organized to fall apart as soon as the Chair has got enough.
>
> 2.Matthew Pemble:

> [...]

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827