RE: RE: [ga] RE: is ICANN or is ICANN not?

  • To: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: RE: [ga] RE: is ICANN or is ICANN not?
  • From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 18:31:23 +0100
  • Cc: "ga" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Roberto,
I stand to be corrected on one point, and have obtained some more information in digging into archives.

1. the first ISO 3166/MA meeting attended by ICANN was in Geneva on 22/23 Jannuary 2001. I do not think you attended the BoD meeting at that time?

2. It was actually attended by Andrew McLaughlin (ICANN, now Google), ad John Klensin (by then IAB), not Paul Twomey (as I thought I recalled)

3. this was a long time prior the reattribution of "CS" on 23/07/2003, 30 months before.

4. the two delegates did not raise the problem of realocation which is a direct consequence of keeping the alpha2 list of "current" countries. A mistake repeated in RFC 4646. However the two delegates where informed of the implications of using alpha2, of the ISO 3166-3 realocation, and of the work underway to name and code the former countries since 1800.

5. further to that meeting, to reach an agreement as discussed during that meeting, ISO 3166 MA sent a recommendation to ICANN over the use of alpha2 in the DNS which has been published on the ISO 3166 MA the same day (16/02/2001) [however I did not find back that document yet].

For 6 years there is still no ICANN comment, a legend has developped, and this document was not even quoted in the void debate initiated by ICANN with some ccNSO members in support of something, like Elisabeth underlined it, does not fall into the mission of ICANN by the NTIA. Anyway, it would infringe the international agreements and agenda signed by the USA at the Geneva and Tunis WSIS. As any other NICs, ICANN has no capacity to make the datacommunications policy of their country, or national Internet community.

jfc